Question: How do you tell which button gets you out of the building? While you’re at it, what do the other buttons mean?
Answer: If you’re lucky, there is a simple count, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. But unfortunately most elevators aren’t so simple. And, although there are some standards, they don’t all use them. Still, with a little sleuthing, a code begins to emerge.
- First, the quick way out is the button with the star, or just “1” if there is no star. For the above picture, “star” – “L”
- This elevator has a front and rear door. The buttons with “R” next to them are for the rear door.
- There are open and close buttons for the front and rear doors.
- The triangles pointing out mean open.
- The triangles pointing in mean close.
- The triangles with a vertical line between them refer to the front door. Without a line is the back door.